Roasted Wattle Seed has rich chocolate and coffee notes. It is ideal for desserts like the classic Italian tiramisu. This delicious cake is sure to keep your dinner party guests delighted.
- 1 Sponge Cake (ready made)
Wattle Seed / Coffee Syrup:
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Wattle Seed (ground)
- 1/2 cup Coffee (brewed, strong)
- 1 tablespoon Castor Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dark Rum, Amaretto, Marsala wine, or your favourite spirit
- 2 cups Mascarpone
- 1.5 - 2 cups Cream (heavy for whipping)
- 0.6 cup Icing Sugar (sifted)
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1- 3 tablespoons Marsala wine or Amaretto (additional)
- 55g Dark Chocolate (grated and optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dark Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Wattle Seed (ground)
- Handful of Edible Flowers (optional)
Cut the sponge horizontally into three equal sheets, set aside.
Wattle Seed / Coffee Syrup: Pour ¼ cup hot water over wattle seeds and leave to steep for half an hour. Then mix all ingredients until sugar dissolves completely.
Cream: Whisk mascarpone in a bowl until fluffy and soft, set aside.
In a separate bowl whip the cream until fluffy. Add the prepared mascarpone, sugar, vanilla extract and whisk together until well combined.
Place the first cake layer on a serving platter and pour 1/3 of the Wattle Seed / Coffee Syrup over it. Then spread 1/3 of the Cream. Repeat for second layer.
For the third layer, spread Cream over the sides of the cake and even top.
Decorate by mixing cocoa powder and wattle seed together, and gently dust. Then place flowers to decorate.
Refrigerate overnight before serving chilled.
Recipe byAunty Dale Chapman